Wednesday 14 July 2010

Surgery on PS3 (YLOD fix)

DISCLAIMER: This should not be attempted by you, or anyone else...EVER. My PlayStation 3 gave me the Yellow Light of Death this week. Instead of paying Sony $150 to fix it, I decided to try to do it myself, following various online tutorials. I figured that even if it didn't work, it would still be an interesting experience. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. The first attempt was unsuccessful. So I took it over to my computer-engineering buddy, Chris. He determined that I hadn't applied enough thermal grease. This was causing the system to rapidly overheat, and the fan to freak out. (At the end of this video, it actually wasn't quite fixed yet. The BD-drive didn't work. I had to open it up a few more times to fix the ribbon-cable connector.) Works great now! Watched "WALL*E" on Blu-ray last night. THERMAL COMPOUND: Purchased from my local Best Buy. I went to the computer area and asked for thermal grease. They showed me: "Dynex® - Silver Thermal Compound" HEAT GUN: Purchased from my local Lowe's ($24.98)



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o19wnN0nPAQ&hl=en

Thanks To : Heated Mirror

No comments:

Post a Comment